Educational Development and Training Services
Adult GED Classes - Free classes through the Memphis City School System located at Bert Ferguson Community Center. Participants must be at least 17 years of age and not enrolled in a regular high school program. Class Time: Tues. & Wed., 10:00 am - 1:00 pm. For more information please call 901-416-4090.
Adult Pottery Classes - Learn the basic techniques of hand building and working with clay on the potter's wheel. No previous experience needed. Also learn ceramic hand building methods to make functional works of art and sophisticated, small-scale sculptures. For more information, please contact Memphis Raku Artist & Potter Lester Jones @ 388-6770 or 491-0897.
Art Classes for Kids
- This program is designed for teaching in a personal way. Depending on their personal skills, children will have the opportunity to learn and explore several medias step-by-step. Among these are shading of different forms and techniques, lines, shapes, texture value, colors and space. There will be different themes each day as part of the concepts your child will learn within the course. Children will have the opportunity to use their natural creativity to express their own ideas and style with a creative enthusiasm.
Children of Divorce Education Program
- Professor: Paola Bernard
To register, to get a supply list and for more information, please call Paola at 292-5881 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Children of Divorce Educational Program increase parents' awareness of their children reactions to divorce, and provides guidelines for a positive parenting plan to reduce the impact of divorce on the family. This class is required by the courts before the divorce is granted. The purpose of this program is for parents to be able to communicate with each other.
- 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Call for dates and details.
- Teen Camp class
Discover strength, teamwork, positive thinking, leadership, being a role model, courage, motivation, and patience. Call for details: 901-309-1761.
- Learn to play bridge. All welcome to these weekly beginner bridge lessons. Part of the American Contract Bridge League.
- Fridays from 9:30 - 12:30 am
- Fee: $5.00 a class
For more information, please contact Judy Knox at 901-737-8087, 277-8329, or email@example.com
Preparing for Buying a Home - Sponsored by United Communities Committee. Bert Ferguson will be hosting a monthly seminar on empowering and improving the Memphis Metropolitan Communities. More information to come.
Read To Achieve Initiative
- Getting kids excited about reading because reading is knowledge; reading can be fun and exciting; and reading introduces you to a broader world. Ages 5-12 years.
Youth Computer Classes
- Creative Writing: Write fictional short stories to present and read to youth group
- Book Appreciation - Read a book that best describes you and why.
- Kids Lets Talk About It - Open book discussion
- My Time to Shine - Individual help with reading
- 2 yrs. - 7 yrs. Each Imagine Tomorrow
Computer Class combines fun learning adventures and sophisticated technology concepts in a creative way that teaches children to use the computer as a tool. Children work on their own computers using Imagine Tomorrow
software that is custom built for each lesson and scaffolds to each child's academic and technical ability levels.
- Small classes led by certified Imagine Tomorrow teachers.
- Parents receive an online password to access lessons learned each class and software activities for reinforcement at home.
Contact Brad Farmer for enrollment details: 901-356-0042 or www.imaginetomorrow.com
Bible Study Classes
- Tuesdays/Thursdays. Call for details
Dance and Musical Expression
(Call for days and times unless listed)
Ballet Classes - Call for more information.
Belly Dance Class
- Fun and Fitness.
- Beginner Class: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
For more information: Call 901-628-1788 or visit www.sadiia.com
Bootscoot/Footloose Monthly Dancing - Put those dancing shoes on and join us every 1st and 4th Saturday of the month from 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. December Christmas Dance, Dec. 1st, featuring music by D.J. Russ Vaiden. Admission is $10.00 and includes refreshments, door prizes, and great music.
Hip-Hop Dance Classes
- Call Robin @ 240-5954.
Zumba (Latin) Dance Class
- Call Liz @ 691-4830.
Character Building and Social Development
Boy Scouts - Scouting concentrates on character development. Physical fitness & citizenship awareness. Scouting offers your son the opportunity to enjoy fun activities, camps and field trips. This program will build teamwork and social skills. Scouting is also family oriented and its programs help you to build a stronger relationship with your son. Your son we get hands-on experience in making decisions, leadership and community interaction. Information on the uniforms can be discussed with the scout master. Cookie order sheets are available with scout master.
Special activities consist of crafts, learning scout songs, learning the promise and community service work in the community. Information on the uniforms can be discussed with the scout master. Cookie order sheets are available with scout master.KidZone
- Sponsored by Cordova Community Church.
KidZone is an hour-long family production that teaches kids' virtues like initiative, discipline, self-control, respect, courage, and patience. It uses music, drama, storytelling, and videos to entertain, educate, and inspire families. The virtues are chosen from stories and situations found in the Bible.
Summer Camp participants and their parents are invited to join in each afternoon after camp for 4 episodes of KidZone. Dinner will be provided.
In addition, 12 kids - ages 5-15 - will be trained as "kid singers" to help performers onstage during the week of KidZone. Auditions will be held for interested kids. There will be weekly sessions to teach them words, music, and choreography for shows. Children will be onstage one of the four nights.
Each family should register in advance so food and giveaways can be ordered.
- Bring your lunch, meet new friends and learn the game of bridge. Games are sanctioned by the American Contract Bridge League.
- Every Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Game Fee: $4.00
- Open and Stratified games
- Awards Black Masterpoints
For more information, please call Joyce Stone, ACBL Club Director at 901-363-8693.